Caloundra has changed dramatically in its short 150 year European history. First settlers arrived 1860's and first holiday makers c1900's. Early transport was up Pumicestone Passage from Brisbane.
During World War II, Australian and American troops occupied Caloundra to train at the Dicky Beach Army Camp and the American Radar Stations. After the war, Caloundra started to grow, as car ownership became more widespread.
A High School came in 1963 with many public services following. The mid 1970's saw a rapid growth and this has continued until today. Estimated population of 4551 district in 2012 is 72,000 and in 2012 Caloundra West is the fastest growing area on the Sunshine Coast.
Historical Photo Slideshow
To browse through the slideshow one photo at a time, click on the arrows.
Bulcock Street CornerBulcock Street, Minchinton Street corner looking up the street. Image c1946 Courtesy: Rose Smith
Bulcock StreetBulcock Street, Minchinton Street corner looking up the street. Image c1930s Courtesy: Anne Wensley
Tooway Lake BridgeTooway Lake Bridge built at Moffat Beach 1937 was used extensively by the Defence Forces in World War II for personnel to get to the Dicky Beach Army Camp. Image 1937 Courtesy: Joan Ford
The first schoolThe first school was built on the corner of Queen and Regent Street by parents in 1910. The teacher and students out front of school. Image 1917 Courtesy: Anne Wensley
The first hall in CaloundraThe first hall in Caloundra, known as the 'Old Pavilion' was built at Black Flat (Now Caloundra's Waterfront Holiday Park) by the local council the Caboolture Divisional Board. Image 1912 Courtesy: Anne Wensley
The Francis HotelThe Francis Hotel was built at Shelley Beach in 1906 by David Rooke. Image 1955 Courtesy: Bert Jardine.
Caloundra’s first lighthouseCaloundra's first lighthouse was built in 1898 and used as a fixed light with a wick burner. Image c1930s Courtesy: Mark Small
SS DickyIn 1893 the 'SS Dicky' was washed onto the beach (now named Dicky Beach) during a cyclone. Image c1900 Courtesy: Dorothy Slawson